Saturday, April 25, 2009

How To Move Wordpress Blog

I'm preparing to move my blog host from some unknown hosting, to hostmonster.com, since the unknown host always move the server every month, that cause my blog always unavailable to access, that cause my income reduce too, that is really really sucks... I hate it, but, what else I can do now beside moving the files??? this thing called web transfer, blog transfer, or maybe file transfer, but for wordpress blog I guess its little bit complicated...

This is some step that I should prepare.

1. Export Wordpress Post
To do this, go to yourdomain.com/wp-admin/export.php and then export and download it to your computer.

2. Downloading WP Theme and Plugin
Its gonna be boring if you have to find the theme and plugin that you already use, why don't you make backup for it, so go to your cpanel account, and then go to wp-content compress the wp-theme and wp-plugins and then download it to your PC.

2. Change The Nameserver
I host my domain on godaddy, because I was planning to move my blog, of course I have to change the nameserver too, so go to your godaddy account and then change the nameserver to hostmonster nameserver.

3. Assigning the domain to hostmonster.
To do this, first go to your cpanel, and then go to addon domains, Hostmonster have unlimited addon domains, so I guess you can put thousand, millions, billions domain on your host. And then follow the instruction for addon domain, including changing to nameserver to hostmonster.

4. Installing Wordpress
Install your wordpress, well its easy to install wordpress on hostmonster, you can use simplescripts or fantastico installer, you can use any of them, I prefer simplescripts, because they use the new wordpress version, just click the fantastico or simplescripts and just follow the direction, and then choose the addon domain that you want to install the wordpress blog.

5. Uploading Theme and Plugins.
You already finish the second step don't you? so now its time to upload it on your hosting file, go to the wp-content directory for your new wordpress blog that you already installed. Extract the zipped theme and plugin file on your PC to the hosting directory, and its finish for the theme and plugin, and then activate it just like the first time you set your new wordpress blog.

6. The Content
This is the last part, after you finish uploading and activate the plugin and theme, its time to upload your content, your post, comments, tags, category and everything that you got from your old server. This is easy and simple, just go to yourdomain.com/wp-admin/import.php and then just select the file that you already download on first step, and upload...

Thats all, simple and easy to move your wordpress blog, if its failed, easy... just change the nameserver on godaddy back to your old hosting... So this progress for my seo blog, but the problem for me is the internet connection and cookies problem, well wish me luck.. I hope I could finish this problem as soon as possible...

2 comments:

ejakulasi dini said...

Thanks for the tutorial, i already move my blog.

Dini

v1nsai said...

Thanks so much man, I've been racking my brain trying to make this work, I had no idea it was so simple.